- VfB Stuttgart uses 100% certified green electricity. About 10% share of energy is covered by their own generation of renewable energies (block-type thermal power station)
- An energy audit according to DIN EN 16247-1 to improve energy efficiency came to an end in 2020. It is currently being evaluated which measures will be implemented from this
- The stadium floodlights scheduled to be converted to LED floodlights by 2023
- LED lights in the club offices
- Technologies for the economical and efficient use of light sources are implemented and built in, such as night switching (Cannstatter kurve), multi-storey car park P1 (day-night switching), and there is also a locking service that switches off the light if necessary. Timers, movement switches, etc.
- Football fans are able to travel to the Mercedes-Benz Arena with the VVS-KombiTicket – “far more than half of all fans now travel to the stadium by bus and train,” said managing director colleague Thomas Hachenberger https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/club/2019/weitere-kooperation-vfb-stuttgart-vvs/
- In addition to the VVS ticket, using bikes to go to games has been actively encouraged by VfB, with many bicycle parking spaces near the stadium https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/club/2019/partnerschaft-vfb-stuttgart-und-paul-lange-ohg/
- In 2020 a Mobility Hackathon 2020 was carried out with the goal of an improved and at the same time more sustainable travel to and from home games. Various project ideas arose from this, which unfortunately could not be tested due to the Corona pandemic. This should be done as soon as the audience returns are regularly admitted to home games. https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/club/2020/vfb-mobility-hackathon/
Single Use Plastic Reduction/Removal
- No systemic policy at present but this is currently being worked on, especially in the B2C area. For example, this year’s green away jersey is made from 100% PET recycled material. There are still many examples of initiatives to remove single use plastic.
- Reusable cup system in the public area of the stadium
- Resource-saving packaging in the club shop
- Paper bags have replaced plastic bags in the club shop. Plastic bags have not been around for 6 years https://www.vfb.de/de/1893/club/vfbfairplay/projekt/heimat/vfb—-tuetle-/
- Merchandising: They are trying to reduce or reduce packaging with full-film packaging (e.g. means of transport for cardboard boxes).
- Deutsche Post AG is engaged in partnership with VfB Stuttgart as a climate-friendly logistics service provider for two years and ensures climate-friendly mail and parcel delivery with GOGREEN https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/club/2020/deutsche-post-ag-neuer-vfb-partner/
- The amount of waste is currently still being evaluated based on the data / costs. There is still no separate waste monitoring concept.
- Home game stadium and events: The amount of waste generated is analysed regularly. It is separated according to, among other things: Glass, paper, waste from the grandstand: put in the garbage press (compressed garbage, residual garbage), metal: recycling centre
- Waterless urinals in the public areas of the stadium
- In the VIP and public areas sensor taps or push-button taps of the stadium. In the evening it is checked whether everything is “closed / turned off”.
- Greywater use in toilets is partly also for Lawn irrigation (currently not in use). There is one for watering the lawn weather station.
- There is not yet a fully adopted policy. Of course, measures to save water are already being taken in the various areas, and there is also, in some cases, systematic monitoring of the individual water consumers
Plant based/low carbon food
- Vegan options available at stadium such as pretzels, fries and potato salad as well as langos with various toppings and a vegetable wrap https://www.peta.de/themen/bundesliga-2019-stadien-vegan/
- New catering concept from 2021/2022: Aramark Deutschland and VfB Stuttgart have extended their cooperation until 30 June 2036. As part of this long-term partnership for the catering of the Mercedes-Benz Arena, Aramark is conceptually breaking new ground with the VfB and will place even more focus on regionality, innovation, freshness, and sustainability, including local restaurateurs. The stadium beer and the red sausage, will thus come from new regional partners in the future
More info: https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/club/2021/kooperation-vfb-und-aramark/
- “Sustainable action is part of the VfB’s corporate culture. Under the umbrella of “VfBfairplay”, the VfB orients this in line with the global sustainability goals of the United Nations and thinks in the three fields of action economics, ecology and social affairs” https://www.vfb.de/de/1893/club/vfbfairplay/
- “By bike to the VfB” – fans encouraged to attend games via bicycle https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/club/2019/partnerschaft-vfb-stuttgart-und-paul-lange-ohg/
- VfB Stuttgart participated in the sustainability certification sustainClub which is the first and only recognised sustainability standard and orientation framework in professional football. https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/vfbfairplay/2020/sustainclub-nachhaltigkeits-zertifizierung/
- VfB Stuttgart will devote more attention to the protection of nature and the environment, through a partnership with the Nature and Biodiversity Conservation Union (NABU). VfB Stuttgart is the first professional football club to join the NABU Entrepreneurship Initiative. With this initiative, the NABU offers companies the opportunity to develop their own competences in the field of sustainability and to advance concrete nature and environmental protection projects:
More info: https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/vfbfairplay/2020/vfb-stuttgart-kooperation-nabu/
- Deutsche Post AG has become a partner of VfB Stuttgart, meaning from now on there is a “green” post from VfB Stuttgart. Deutsche Post AG is engaged in partnership with VfB Stuttgart as a climate-friendly logistics service provider for two years and ensures climate-friendly mail and parcel delivery with GOGREEN.
More info https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/club/2020/deutsche-post-ag-neuer-vfb-partner/
- Further collaborations are being planned.
- In the sustainability study “The clubs in the ranking – So fair are their shops!” the VfB manages to achieve an excellent second place. https://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/vfbfairplay/2020/nachhaltigkeits-studie/#:~:text=Nachhaltiges%20Handeln%20geh%C3%B6rt%20zur%20Unternehmenskultur,Fu%C3%9Fballclubs%20der%20Bundesliga%20und%202
- The Global Recycled Standard (GRS) enables VfB Stuttgart to record the exact proportion of recycled material in a product and to continue to track it through the production chain. Products with the GRS seal are made of at least 50% recycled material. The entire supply chain, from the recycling process to the sale of the goods, is certified according to the requirements of the standard. https://shop.vfb.de/fanartikel/bekleidung/kollektionen/fairtrade/?p=1&_ga=2.137816432.190244276.1611847531-1795207027.1611847531
Information sourced directly from VfB Stuttgart staff, website and third party websites
Information updated March 26th 2021