FC Union Berlin
- Co-generation primarily used by Union Berlin
- LED lighting https://www.fc-union-berlin.de/de/union-live/news/verein/Union-siegt-mit-DUFTE-Kollektion-2412P/
- Cautious use of heat lamps for the pitch
- Due to convenient transport connections, Union Berlin recommends the arrival and departure by public transport and recommend times which allow participants to easily arrive and depart by public transport (rail, public transport).
- Special trains for supporters will again be organized as soon as audiences are back in stadiums.
- Several hundred bike parking spots have been installed, which are heavily utilised.
- When there are no complications, the Union Berlin playing squad will use the train to travel to games, but hygiene instructions make this difficult at present
Single Use Plastic Reduction/Removal
- Reusable drinks cups used in the stadium, as well as containers for mustard and ketchup.
- Paper plates and plastic forks saved and reused in the stadium.
- All products in the club shop made of recycled material or made of cotton grown organically are labelled with this special label https://www.fc-union-berlin.de/de/union-live/news/verein/Union-siegt-mit-DUFTE-Kollektion-2412P/
- Union Berlin’s waste management system primarily provides for the reduction of waste volumes. In this way, ecologically advantageous packaging, such as reusable dishes, or cutlery and glasses, is used. https://www.altefoersterei.berlin/stadion-an-der-alten-foersterei/nachhaltigkeit
- The German Environmental Aid (DUH) awarded FC Union Berlin as the leader of the 1st and 2nd Bundesliga in waste management due to consistent waste separation in catering https://www.altefoersterei.berlin/stadion-an-der-alten-foersterei/nachhaltigkeit
- Union Berlin provide ecological stewardship over the local river body ensuring biodiversity standards are upheld
- Biodegradable detergents are used
- In order to reduce consumption, they have also installed waterless urinals throughout the main stand. https://www.altefoersterei.berlin/stadion-an-der-alten-foersterei/nachhaltigkeit
Plant based/low carbon food
- Vegan snacks available at the stadium such as pretzels, vegan carrot and covered apple pie https://www.peta.de/themen/bundesliga-2019-stadien-vegan/
- When selecting fish and fish products, Union Berlin makes sure not to include products from endangered stocks
- Union Berlin prefers organic products and fair trade products and attaches great importance to the use of seasonal and environmentally friendly food from the region
- Health and Environment page on the club website: https://www.fc-union-berlin.de/en/engagement/health-environment/
- Sustainability page on stadium website (not main club website) and some climate change news https://www.altefoersterei.berlin/stadion-an-der-alten-foersterei/nachhaltigkeit
- Recently been awarded as the Bundesliga-Club with the most sustainably produced and fair traded products. (2020) https://www.fc-union-berlin.de/en/union-live/latest-news/club/Union-s-DUFTE-collection-celebrated-260R/
- Other club activities include leaning up the surroundings of the Wuhle river near the stadium twice a year and hosting bees on the club’s ground near the stadium
Information sourced directly from FC Union Berlin staff, website and third party websites
Information updated March 26th 2021