Policy and Commitment
- Rochdale Association Football Club and Rochdale AFC’s Community Trust’s Environmental Sustainability Policy can be found under ‘Club Policies’ and then ‘Green’ here: https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/club/club-policies/
- An action log is being maintained to track all initiatives in the club and the Community Trust.
- The club is a signatory of EFL Green Clubs.
- Has moved onto a 100% green electricity tariff with SSE.
- Is currently investigating a solar scheme at the ground on a PPA or asset finance basis.
- A programme of replacing halogen lighting at its stadium to LED is around 90% complete.
- The club monitors the use of high usage equipment (e.g., pitch grown lamps).
- Meter readings are taken and monitored weekly.
- The club sweeps the building at night to turn off lights.
- Public transport (rail and bus) to the Crown Oil Arena is promoted via an online guide for first time visitors. The club informs attendees that the stadium is a 25–30 minute walk from Rochdale Town Centre.
- Provides coach transport to away games.
- Club staff live within two miles of the ground and car share.
- Directors and media teams now actively car share to away games and use electric vehicles (EV) when practical.
- Installed six rapid EV commercial charging points which have been operational since February 2023. The units are visible from the road outside the ground and the club hopes to encourage fan and public use of EVs generally and on matchdays.
Single Use Plastic Reduction/Removal
- Uses compostable containers and wooden forks.
- Switched to a waste management supplier that separates and recycles 50% of its waste. Collections are split into four categories of paper and card waste, general waste, glass waste and biodegradable/garden waste.
- Flush mechanisms have been installed in main stadium lavatories. Flushes are now based on usage/footfall rather than every 20 minutes.
Plant based/low carbon food
- Offers vegetarian, vegan and halal options and that its food is sourced locally. The butcher is from Whitworth (less than five miles away) and most of the club’s pies come from Rochdale and Oldham (less than eight miles away).
- Cheese & Onion Pie, Samosa Smash (VE) Kebab and Vegan Sausage Roll (VE) are some of the available food options within kiosks at the Crown Oil Arena.
- Projects have been carried out within the Community Trust to create bug houses and to fill planters by the Trust’s offices with bee friendly flowers.
- A ‘wonderwall’ of flowers and plants has been planted on the edge of the stadium and is maintained by volunteers.
- The Community Trust ran a summer camp on Sustainability for local children.
- In December 2021, young people from the Rochdale AFC Community Trust’s Premier League Kicks programme were invited to attend an environmental event hosted by Rochdale Youth Service. The event provided a range of activities for young people to learn more about the environment including presentations, films, sewing workshops, printing, making postcards and pledges, whilst finding out about the role that wildlife plays in supporting the environment.
Communication and Engagement
- Rochdale Association Football Club and Rochdale AFC’s Community Trust’s Environmental Sustainability Policy can be found under ‘Club Policies’ here https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/club/club-policies/
- For EFL Green Weekend, the club and Community Trust held a competition to encourage sustainable travel to the club’s away fixture at Salford City Football Club. To be in with a chance of winning the green captain’s armband from the match, supporters were encouraged to use the hashtag #EcoDale and tweet how they travelled to Salford. This article was also promoted on the club’s Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Participated in Planet League and actively encouraged fans to support the club and ‘score goals’ by completing a range of activities that are beneficial for the planet.
- Operates a switch it off or turn it down campaign across the staff at the club and its Community Trust.
- The club leveraged its EFL Green Club initiative by promoting its credentials and initiatives for Green Football Weekend.
Information sourced directly from Rochdale A.F.C staff, website and third party websites
Information updated 07 March, 2023.