Policy and Commitment
- In December 2021, FC Augsburg publicised the club´s sustainability strategy under the motto “Building bridges. Moving people. Protect the environment” which commits itself to social and ecological responsibility. This strategy can be viewed on the club website here: https://www.fcaugsburg.de/page/nachhaltigkeit-strategie-386
- The club has an ‘Environmental and climate protection’ page on its website which provides additional information on the FCA Forest, WWK ARENA, the switch to reusable cups and other initiatives. https://www.fcaugsburg.de/page/nachhaltigkeit-umwelt-und-klimaschutz-384
- In 2022, FC Augsburg were awarded as an ÖKOPROFIT® company.
- A CO2 footprint is calculated for FC Augsburg using an ÖKOPROFIT® program and external accounting.
- The club is currently working to form concrete goals and KPIs for all areas of sustainability, including environmental and climate targets.
- 40% of the energy used across all club sites (WWK ARENA and Youth Academy) comes from renewable source. This is the result of using renewable electricity also for running WWK ARENA´s heat pumps for clean energy creation.
- FC Augsburg uses electricity that is generated 100% by regional water/hydro power, which in turn powers WWK ARENA´s heat pumps for renewable thermal energy.
- Two large heat pumps provide heat and cold for the air conditioning of the WWK ARENA and heating of the stadium pitch.
- In 2022, FC Augsburg underwent and implemented the ÖKOPFOFIT environmental and energy efficiency program and is currently renewing the ÖKOPROFIT audit by participating in the 2023 version.
- At the WWK ARENA, there has been: an integration of a combined heat and power plant (CHP), change of emergency lighting to LED and optimisation of pitch lighting placement and hours.
- Usage of local public transport to and from the WWK ARENA is covered by match day tickets. This is communicated on the homepage and within the club’s match day information which is sent out by newsletter.
- The club regularly encourages fans and employees to travel by bike through such initiatives as the club’s yearly participation in the city biking week in July, which sees the club compete with a team of employees and fans.
Single Use Plastic Reduction/Removal
- Launched a reusable cup deposit system for cold drinks at the WWK Arena in January 2023. Fans pay a two euro deposit when buying a cold drink. The deposit cups can be donated for social purposes at special collection points.
- On July 1, 2023, FC Augsburg will take over the club’s merchandising enterprise and will remove or at least minimise the use of plastic for packaging and products.
- There is a systemic waste management policy in place across all sites, and the various fractions are processed and recycled where possible. No waste is disposed of at landfill.
- Together with Tork PaperCircle®, used paper towels from the WWK ARENA are collected and recycled into new paper towels or other hygiene products.
- A strategy for water use across all sites is currently being developed.
- The stadium drinking water facility is continuously being developed and upgraded with automation, thereby reducing water use when carrying out necessary hygienic cycles.
- All hand washing utilities have been equipped with new flow limiters, reducing water flow from 13 to 7 liters per minute.
- A technology upgrade including a new filter system for water re-use for the first team stadium’s swimming utilities has been planned and will be implemented at the end of the current season, saving 600 m³ of fresh water a year (as well as 22.000 kWh of electricity).
Plant based/low carbon food
- There are sustainably sourced, vegan food offers for hospitality guests, as well as for staff on work days.
- A plant-based food offering for fans is being planned.
- Eggs, potatoes, fruits and vegetables are almost exclusively organic and from regional suppliers.
- Honey is organic, used to substitute for sugar and is from a regional supplier.
- Meat is partly organic and from a regional supplier.
- Dairy products are predominantly organic and from central store.
- As a joint project of the FCA family and in cooperation with the city of Augsburg, the ‘FCA Forest’ is being built between Wertach and Singold near the WWK ARENA. With the help of the Augsburg Forest Administration, depending on the selected tree species, up to 20,000 trees are planted on an area of about four hectares.
- In April 2022, together with the city of Augsburg and the FCA family, the first trees of the FCA Forest were planted.
- There is an educational program for issues of sustainability in place and this is being developed further. The program is both internal for employees, for fans in general and for kids in particular, with a number of measures and activities being carried out throughout the year.
- Examples of modules for the environmental education program include:
- A guided bicycle tour with its ClassicClub members through the Augsburg City Forest. The tour included background information on the subject of water and the UNESCO World Heritage Augsburg Water Management System.
- An educational KidsClub trip to the FCA-Wald.
- A KidsClub UNESCO world heritage audiowalk which started at the World Heritage Info Center directly on Augsburg’s Rathausplatz. The children learned about the resource of water and were able to experience the World Heritage Info Center’s water management system using an interactive model.
- Created a new educational booklet “Learning with FCA“ to be used in 3rd grade primary school education. The booklet integrates issues of sustainability such as diversity and environmental issues.
- Introduced “Environmental Education“ as a new Kids magazine category.
Communication and Engagement
- The club’s strategy for sustainability which commits itself to social and ecological responsibility can be viewed on the club website here: https://www.fcaugsburg.de/page/nachhaltigkeit-strategie-386
- An “Environmental and climate protection” page on its website which provides additional information on FC Augsburg’s environmental initiatives. https://www.fcaugsburg.de/page/nachhaltigkeit-umwelt-und-klimaschutz-384
- On 8th April 2023, the home game against 1. FC Köln was dedicated to “Forest Play Day”. After the first stage goal of planting approximately 5,000 trees in the spring of 2022 in a joint planting campaign with the FCA family, FCA fans could once again contribute to regional environmental and climate protection by buying a tree for the FCA forest in the online ticket shop for only 5 euros. Each person that purchased a tree was automatically entered into a raffle with exclusive prizes such as participating in this year’s planting campaign with FCA professionals.
- FC Augsburg participates in the nationwide “Stadtradeln” campaign every year which sees fans, members and employees got on their bikes in the three-week campaign period and recorded the kilometres ridden. FC Augsburg set up its own team for the 2022 campaign.
- Organisational instructions covering energy saving measures have been given to employees regarding the use of IT, lighting, heating, use of elevators, and showering after gym activity.
- Social media environmental quizzes were held on International Day of Forests 2022 & 2023.
- Held a joint clean-up campaign for World Cleanup Day 2022. The Lechufer between Afrabrücke and Hochablass was cleaned in the morning prior to the club’s home fixture vs FC Bayern Munich.
Information sourced directly from FC Augsburg staff, website and third party websites
Information updated May 15 2023