Policy and Commitment
- Barrow AFC’s has a reference to environmental sustainability in the club’s customer charter.
- The club has advised that it is about to install solar panels which will provide enough power for its general day to day use. Barrow AFC is looking into expanding the scheme in phases to supply its neighbours.
- There is a rolling replacement of lighting to LEDs, including the floodlights. Approximately 80% of the lights on site are now LED.
- The club has new efficient gas boilers.
- Public transport (rail and bus travel) to the Holker Street Stadium is promoted on the club’s website.
- The club actively encourages employees to use public transport or walk/cycle to work where practical and to adopt similar environmental commitments at home.
- The Bluebirds Trust organises coaches for away game travel.
- All players are encouraged to car share.
- The club train in Manchester which significantly reduces the distance travelled by the players, saving around 540 miles a week per player. The team coach starts there too for matches.
- Barrow AFC run surveys with the supporters trust which include questions around how fans travel to games. Due to the limited parking at the stadium and the proximity to major housing areas, many fans walk to matches. The club has advised that around 65% of fans use sustainable ways of getting to the stadium (public transport, cycle/walk to the stadium), but exact numbers have not been confirmed.
Single Use Plastic Reduction/Removal
- All staff have been given reusable water bottles and use paper bags.
- There is a dry mixed recycling and glass recycling system throughout the stadium, offices and stands.
- The club estimates that at least 95% of its waste is recycled.
- A dedicated team of volunteers passionate about recycling sort through all the match day rubbish to ensure nothing ends up in the wrong place.
- Barrow AFC is in advanced talks to implement coffee cup recycling and be a collection point for the local area.
- E-tickets are offered as standard to reduce single use tickets.
- Barrow AFC is in the process of converting its pitch watering system to run from a pond on land next door to the club that is filled by roof and car park run off. This will mean that the club uses 100% grey water for watering the pitch.
Plant based/low carbon food
- Vegetarian options are offered at all food outlets. Options include: Cheese & Onion Pies, Veg Pastry Slices, Margherita Pizza, Chips.
- Vegan requests must be highlighted when making hospitality bookings.
- Vegetarian offering within hospitality suites changes every match.
- Food is supplied by a local catering firm who also do the butchering. The food miles of the meat is less than 15 miles throughout the whole lifecycle.
- Barrow AFC has various nesting birds on its site and the club ensures that these birds are protected and not disturbed.
- The club runs regular training sessions with its staff and there is always an aspect on environmental improvements.
- A weekly staff meeting covers all topics around the club, one of those is the club’s environmental impact. This is used to push home the club’s changes and changes that the club needs to see.
- 2 x full training days for all staff held annually. Within each training day, a 1 hour slot is allocated to provide training/information on the facility which is mostly used for energy efficient and waste management reminders.
Communication and Engagement
- All employees are encouraged to turn off unused equipment, televisions and not to print documents unless necessary.
- Staff are encouraged to only use the lights when necessary. There are signs by every light switch challenging whether they need the lights on. Message is reiterated in a weekly staff meeting.
- The club engages its fans to ensure that they are aware of match day recycling.
- Signed up to Planet League this season and is participating in Planet League’s ‘Planet League Cup’.
- There are tannoy announcements throughout the game reminding fans to use the recycling stations. There is also a lot of very clear signage.
- Recycling stations were publicised heavily on the club’s social media when first implemented.
Information sourced directly from Barrow A.F.C staff, website and third party websites
Information updated 07 March, 2023.