Policy and Commitment
- Is an EFL Green Club member.
- Solar panels on the roof at the Academy.
- The academy has a program in place to expand its solar energy usage by utilising solar bond panels on the first team building to increase its clean renewable power usage.
- The club is ESOS compliant.
- Recently replaced floodlights with LED units and have a rolling programme of replacing existing tungsten lighting with LED units, some areas are 100% (hospitality suites).
- LED lights now extended to concourse lighting and upgrading to approve lux levels
- It is estimated that around 80% of the ground is on LED.
- The Academy pitch lights have been replaced with LED units.
- Changing the outer pitch lights with low energy LEDs within the next 6 months.
- Began to install passive infrared sensor (PIR) units so lights only on when room in use.
- Around 75% of the academy and first team complex are on PIR switches with a roll of the final quarter within the next 12 months.
- Office block is having a new ventilation system and a heat recovery plant installed.
- The ventilation and air handling systems at the academy are due to be fully replaced within the next 48 months.
- Underground pitch heating boiler replaced with a modern energy efficient boiler.
- At Bramall Lane, modern efficient boilers with a backup boiler have been installed.
- The under soil heating at the academy is powered by four new efficient boilers.
- No parking onsite, public transport options (bus/rail and tram) advised.
- Electric vehicle plug-in points available as part of the hotel, on-site at Bramall Lane.
- The academy has one electric vehicle charging point with a scope to increase this to eight (four additional for site visitors & four for players and coaching staff).
Single Use Plastic Reduction/Removal
- Sauce sachets have been replaced by refillable bottles.
- All disposable food packaging is 100% sustainable and compostable.
- Removes all plastic straws and replaces them with paper straws, on request only.
- Removes all plastic cutlery and stirrers and replaces with a sustainable wood alternative.
- Working with catering partner to reduce single use plastics at Bramall Lane.
- Solutions found for plastic coffee cup lids and plastic milk jiggers.
- The academy has a zero single use plastic policy.
- 100% diversion of waste from landfill.
- Partnership with waste management firm now also segregates food.
- Partnership with waste management firm enables business to easily segregate general waste, dry mixed recycling (DMR) cardboard, paper and glass materials.
- All food waste is sent from site to a bio-recycling plant.
- All paper, plastic and metal waste is recycled.
- Through its partnership with S2S Group – a leading data destruction and electronic recycling business, S2S will provide the club with environmentally focused solutions for the club’s IT recycling.
- Fans can now use their mobile phone to scan into the turnstiles at Bramall Lane, instead of using a paper ticket.
- Waterless system at office level for male toilets, now extended to John Street concourse, another area of the ground.
- Water bore hole at Bramall Lane and training ground assists in the irrigation of the pitch.
- Waterless system at office level for male toilets.
- The academy operates a water bore hole that absorbs rain water and excess irrigation water and then re-feeds this in to the irrigation system, saving around 35% on water waste and usage.
- Is looking to install water fountains and bottle filling points around the stadium.
Plant based/low carbon food
- Menus use a minimum of 80% British seasonal fruit and veg. If it comes via plane, the club will not use it.
- 25% of menus are currently vegan or vegetarian.
- All fish used is Marine Conservation Society (MCS) grades 1-3.
- The academy strives to use local food providers through contracts with Bidfood and a number of smaller local providers.
No information found
No information found
Communication and Engagement
- Safeguarding staff have released an eBook on the benefits of recycling and being energy efficient.
- The academy has a green team that promotes in-house development and advice on efficiency.
Information sourced directly from Sheffield United F.C. staff, website and third party websites
Information updated 07 March 2023.