FC Schalke 04
- Around 60% of energy comes from renewable sources.
- FC Schalke 04 always pays attention to the energy efficiency of their devices.
- Energy-efficient kitchen appliances: All kitchen appliances will be replaced and replaced in the long term. This applies to all grills, convective tomatoes, quick washers and cold stores. The new devices are to be explicitly energy-saving. https://veltins-arena.de/business/catering/nachhaltigkeit/
- Grills, convection ovens, quick washers and cold stores were and are being replaced throughout the arena for optimum energy efficiency – 80% of the conversion has already been achieved.
- The existing lamps in all kitchens in the VELTINS Arena have been replaced by LED lamps. This will reduce energy consumption by 20%. https://veltins-arena.de/business/catering/nachhaltigkeit/
- FC Schalke 04 offers free transport with matchday tickets and highlights the advantages of using it to fans.
- The club also installed around 600 bicycle parking spaces at the arena, making transport by bike more desirable. The number of bicycles is also recorded.
- The number of cars per to game day is recorded by the club
- Website has a service advertising where to take public transport, bike racks and taxi bays at VELTINS Arena https://veltins-arena.de/service/anreise-parken/
Single Use Plastic Reduction/Removal
- A cup collection system was introduced in February 2019. The plastic cups are collected after use in the stadium, picked up and regionally processed into granules. New cups are then produced from the granulate, thus creating a closed cycle. The transport routes are significantly shortened, and the cups are put into the recycling cycle in a sustainable way. The recovery rate for beer mugs is now around 90 percent. Fans are encouraged to drop off the cups as well in tubes.
- Beer mug collection campaign: Anyone who collects at least 50 plastic cups on home game and event days in the VELTINS Arena and returns them at the collection point will receive a voucher for a free drink or a bratwurst. This promotes the return rate of recycled cups. https://veltins-arena.de/business/catering/nachhaltigkeit/
- No plastic bowls or straws are dispensed at the stadium
- The distribution of non-alcoholic beverages is made from bottles, which are put back into the German deposit system.
- Food waste is completely broken down into water by machines by iugis. (iugis is a company that produces machines and solutions for the environmentally friendly disposal of food waste.) We use these machines in the kitchens at the VELTINS arena. They turn food waste into water through a special process. Iugis is also sponsor of FC Schalke 04.
- Waste is sorted and pressed on the club’s premises.
- Water efficiency measures are currently decided on a case-by-case basis
- Water saving attachments on taps https://veltins-arena.de/business/catering/nachhaltigkeit/
- The VELTINS Arena achieves a reduction in water consumption through dishwashers with water-saving technology or water-saving attachments on taps, also ice-cube makers with air coolers are also used.
- The dishwashers are water-saving and a special process is used to generate water from food waste https://www.dw.com/en/bundesliga-how-sustainable-are-germanys-football-clubs/g-51720790
Plant based/low carbon food
- Vegan food options available at FC Schalke 04 stadium
- Vegan lentil ravioli with curry coconut sauce, vegan lahmacun with grilled vegetables, a vegan grilled vegetable wrap, as well as a pink smoothie and a vegan double choc muffin all available at VELTINS Arena https://www.peta.de/themen/bundesliga-2019-stadien-vegan/
- FC Schalke 04 were announced Veggie Champion for the third time in a row in 2019 by PETA.
- Sustainability page on Arena website https://veltins-arena.de/business/catering/nachhaltigkeit/ – but not FC Schalke 04’s main clubs website
- Environmental protection written into the club’s code of conduct https://schalke04.de/en/club/fc-schalke-04/code-of-conduct/
- Club magazine, Schalker Kreisel is also used to inform fans about sustainability issues as well as the Schalke 04 website.
- FC Schalke 04 just installed an own division for sustainability within the club
- A sustainability report is in the works for the future
- In the buildup to a Bundesliga game, Schalke took the opportunity to point out their commitment and to call on the football fans to live and act more environmentally. “We use today’s game day for a special sign and compensate for parts of the CO2 created by the match day with a donation for a reforestation project,” says Sebastian Buntkirchen, Schalke’s Head of CSR & Members. consciously https://schalke04.de/inside/allefuersklima-s04-und-mainz-05-setzen-ein-zeichen/
- By being involved in the stadium program, they sensitize fans to environmental issues and encourage them to participate – such as in the match against Mainz.
Information sourced directly from FC Schalke 04 staff, website and third party websites
Information updated March 26th 2021