Policy and Commitment
- Is an EFL Green Club member.
- The club created an ‘Eco & Sustainability Commitment 2019’ document which lists initiatives that the club aimed to implement by the end of 2019.
- No information provided
- LED lighting has been installed across all three sites. This is an ongoing progressive process.
- Train travel to The Lamex Stadium is promoted on the club’s website. The railway station is approximately one mile away from the ground.
- The club has coaching staff that car share when travelling to coaching sessions.
- All staff are encouraged to walk to the shops at lunchtimes.
- The club is working with Hertfordshire County Council to review a travel plan that was introduced in parallel with the new North Stand.
Single Use Plastic Reduction/Removal
- Branded reusable cups have been introduced to supporters.
- The club is working towards a single use plastic policy.
- New recycling bins were installed at the stadium in January 2023.
- A kit donation to Serbia under the club’s scheme “Kit Aid” has been successfully in existence for many years.
- The club made the decision to move away from printed matchday programmes and will be offering a free Digital Matchday programme that supporters can view and download the day before a match.
- No information provided
Plant based/low carbon food
- The club’s matchday menu includes a Veggie Burger.
- The club has identified a communal garden located behind the North Stand in the stadium and has plans to redevelop and implement a biodiversity space including a small allotment producing fresh organic produce for staff and players. This will be a subject for discussion with the club’s new CEO. The club is optimistic that the space will be in use in 2023.
- The club is exploring partnerships with local wildlife societies and tree planting programmes.
- Stevenage FC Foundation is working with local primary schools on various sustainability themes such as food waste, transport and ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’.
- The club sent Planet League to the club’s partnered local primary schools.
- The club has plans to reimplement ‘Community Kitchens’ which is an 8-week course that encourages families to cook and eat healthily, whilst including non-meat choices. The course is a Stevenage FC Foundation led community project.
- Social action projects that are in the planning stages with local primary schools will have a focus on environmental sustainability.
Communication and Engagement
- Designated the club’s fixture vs Bradford City to Green Football Weekend and encouraged supporters to make climate-friendly choices, both in their day-to-day and matchday routines.
- The club participates in Planet League competitions.
- Stevenage FC Foundation raised awareness of World Environment Day 2022 and Water Saving Week 2022.
- Staff include an eco-friendly print statement on all email communications and shall be asked to consider their print requirements for all office base tasks.
- Posters and visual aids have been implemented throughout the stadium in correlation with Hertfordshire County Council which encompasses environmental issues such as waste disposal, cleaner air and pollution.
- There is no up-to-date version of the club’s ‘Eco & Sustainability Commitment 2019’. The club is currently in transition of CEO who will be taking up role at the beginning of February 2023. The club has advised that there will be meetings to discuss the club’s policy and commitment through an internal documentation and exhibiting it on the website.
- The club is currently at Stage One of implementing environmental initiatives. The bins (food wastage), visual posters around the stadium and reusable cups encapsulates Stage One. A focus on sustainable travel, communication (social media), and engagement, sustainable food, environment and biodiversity, policy/strategy development encapsulate Stage Two.
- Stage Two of the club’s environmental sustainability project will see the club focus on sustainable transport. This will encompass a match day shuttle service for supporters and staff and the Implementation of bike racks installed at the stadium.
Information sourced directly from Stevenage F.C staff, website and third party websites
Information updated 07 March, 2023.